For lunch or dinner, served cold or hot – lentils are truly one of the most versatile sources of vegetarian protein available. These Creamy Coconut Spiced Lentils are no exception; packing a serious punch of flavor and nutrition while dazzling even the most skeptical tastebuds.
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 inch ginger piece, peeled and grated
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper and fresh parsley to garnish
- Rinse the red lentils with cold water and let drain.
- In a medium saucepan heat the coconut oil, add the onion, garlic, ginger and turmeric, and cook for two minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the lentils and vegetable broth, bring to boil and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add remaining spices and coconut milk and mix to combine.
- Let simmer for another five minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed and you obtain a porridge consistency. Once finished, taste and add additional salt if necessary.
- Serve warm, garnished with fresh parsley leaves and a few drops of coconut milk.