As a model, one of the first things people ask me is, “What do you eat?” When I respond, I often see disappointment rush across people’s faces. I don’t have any magic diet tips nor do I promote anything extreme or unhealthy.
In fact, my dietary philosophy is quite simple:
- I eat regularly and often – usually 3 meals per day and 2 snacks in between.
- I drink 2-3 liters of water every day.
- I focus on eating whole foods like vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, beans and gluten free grains.
- I only consume 1 small caffeinated beverage in the morning – often an unsweetened latte made with almond milk.
- I commit to eating green, leafy vegetables, plant based protein and healthy fats with every meal.
- I abstain from consuming processed sugar and refined carbohydrates.
- Lastly, I believe in indulgence. I think this aspect is just as important as all the others listed above. You can absolutely indulge in a healthful manner. If you want a glass of wine with dinner once in a while or crave dark chocolate in the afternoon, by all means, enjoy it. Moderation is the key.
Today I wanted to share a recipe for chocolate mousse that fits equally in the indulgent and healthy aspects of my diet. While traditional mousse recipes call for heavy whipping cream and egg whites, for this particular recipe I used avocado and coconut cream to achieve that mousse-like texture. I’ve also swapped out the processed sugar and replaced it with maple syrup and medjool dates.
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut creme
- 1 medjool date, pitted
- 2-4 tablespoons raw maple syrup (depending on desired sweetness).
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Add all ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Chill in for at least 30 minutes before serving.