Living a healthy life shouldn’t be complicated or time consuming. In fact, it should be the opposite! All it takes is a little planning and preparation.
Here are a few ways you can get started:
Take a trip to the grocery store to stock up on healthy ingredients for the week. Plan a general menu and make a list beforehand with meal and snack ideas you want to have on hand.
Some of my weekly essentials include:
- Bulk section – rolled oats, brown rice, lentils, unsweetened dried fruit, nuts and seeds.
- Produce – a wide variety of seasonal fruits, vegetables and herbs.
- Refrigerated items – organic eggs, unsweetened almond milk and tofu.
- Condiments/flavorings – tahini, natural peanut butter and tamari.
- Snacks: Dark chocolate, hummus, organic corn tortilla chips and protein bars.
Prepare in bulk.
You can throw a simple, healthy meal together in a snap by prepping large batches of staple foods.
You can easily:
- Chop up assorted vegetables for stir-fires or snacks.
- Wash and spin greens for salads.
- Prep a large batch of brown rice, quinoa, beans or lentils.
- Portion out and put together an assortment of healthy snacks that you can easily grab on the go.
Pack your gym bag.
Give your gym bag a once-over to ensure it’s well equipped for a week of workouts. I like to make sure that I have:
- Burt’s Bees makeup removing wipes.
- Extra hair ties and headbands.
- A spare pair or socks, running shoes and leggings.
- An empty water bottle.
- Spare headphones.
Stock up on snacks.
When hunger strikes, we’re often tempted to reach for whatever we can get our hands on. It’s important to always have healthy snacks in your handbag or work tote. I’ll often pack:
- Single servings of roasted nuts such as almonds or cashews.
- Plant-based protein bars. My favorites include: Larabars, GoMacro bars and Amazing Grass protein bars.
- Precut fruits and vegetables in a glass storage container.
- Dark chocolate (70-85% cacao).
Do something for yourself.
Before diving into another busy week of work, school and/or responsibilities, take a moment out of your Sunday just for you. It can be as simple as going for a long walk, cleaning the clutter out of your bedroom or workspace or just simply catching up on your favorite tv series with a cup of tea.
Wishing you all a healthful and productive week!