Once you make this dreamy twist on your classic mac, there’s no going back!
Creamy Vegan Mac ‘N’ Cheese
- 1 1/5, 15 oz cans of pumpkin puree
- 4-6 garlic cloves,
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 1/2, 13.5 oz cans coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons organic miso paste
- 4 cups gluten free pasta shells or penne, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Coconut oil or olive oil cooking spray, for the pan
Herbed Bread Crumb Topping
- 1/2 cup gluten free panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly coat a 9×13-inch pan with coconut oil or olive oil cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, combine the canned pumpkin, garlic cloves, thyme sprigs, salt, miso paste and coconut milk. Cook over medium heat, uncovered, stirring occasionally. Simmer until the garlic is fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs.
- Carefully place the pumpkin mixture in a blender (Blendtec works best!) and purée until all ingredients velvety smooth.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain and rinse with cool water, remove all excess liquid.
- Spread out the pasta in the prepared pan, and pour the pumpkin–coconut milk purée over the pasta. Gently fold in the nutritional yeast and mix well to combine, ensuring that all noodles are coated. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and place in preheated oven. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until bubbly and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the ingredients for the topping.
- Remove the mac and cheese from the oven, uncover, and sprinkle the top with the herbed bread-crumb topping, followed by a sprinkle of the remaining 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast. Transfer to the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes until brown and bubbly.