It’s that time of year when we start reaching for rich and hearty comfort foods to keep the autumn chill at bay. These Spicy Mexican Lentils with Creamy Avocado Aioli are the perfect addition to your fall recipe arsenal. They’re bursting with flavor and provide you a satisfying meal without giving you that heavy feeling afterwards.
Lentils contain essential nutrients such as:
- Magnesium – an important macro-mineral that is vital for several different processes in the body, including regulating muscle and nerve function, blood sugar levels, and blood pressure as well as making protein bone, and DNA.
- Iron – an essential mineral that is responsible for helping transport oxygen from the lungs to tissues.
- Folate – a crucial B vitamin that plays a role in DNA synthesis and repair. It also encourages cell and tissue growth.
They’re also rich in dietary fiber, plant-based protein, copper and Vitamin B1.
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Add chopped onions and olive oil to a pot and cook until browned.
- In the meantime, thoroughly rinse lentils and set aside.
- Once onions are browned, add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Spoon over brown rice, quinoa or enjoy plain.
- Garnish with aioli, fresh cilantro and/or chopped spring onions.
- 1/2 cup Forager Project plain, unsweetened Cashewgurt or vegan mayo
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 small avocado
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add more salt until desired taste is reached.
I would love to hear how you incorporate lentils into your diet! Share your ideas in the comment section below.