Healthy Peanut Butter Granola Bars are packed with nourishing, whole-food ingredients that will keep you fueled and satiated until your next meal.
- 2 cups crunchy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes (chopped fine)
- 6 tablespoons dried raisins
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- Wax or parchment paper
- In a high speed blender or food processor, gently pulse coconut flakes and oats until slightly smaller than starting size. Once the oats and coconut have been pulsed, add all ingredients into a medium bowl, stirring until dough has formed. Once all ingredients are well combined, press mixture into a parchment paper lined 8 x 8 inch pan. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting into square or rectangular bars and serving. Store leftovers in the fridge.
These dreamy Swedish Cardamom Rolls (Kardemummabullar) are perfectly sweet with a touch of spice. The Swedes have been devouring kardemummabröd (cardamom bread) and kardemummabullar (cardamom rolls) for decades and often pair their cardamom creations with coffee during fika. (More on that here.)
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp. milk, heated to 110°F
- 1 envelope dry active yeast (7 g)
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more to flour surfaces
- 1 tsp. whole cardamom seeds
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 5.3 Tbsp. butter (at room temperature)
- Oil/cooking spray (to grease bowl)
- 4.5 Tbsp. butter (at room temperature)
- 1/3 c. dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. whole cardamom seeds
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/4 c. light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. whole cardamom seeds
- Pregrease a large bowl and set aside.
- In a bowl, add yeast to the lukewarm milk with 1 tsp. light brown sugar and stir until yeast has dissolved. Let activate for 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with whisk attachment, mix together flour, light brown sugar (less 1 tsp.), cardamom, and salt.
- Change the attachment to the dough hook attachment.
- After yeast has been activated, add your yeast/milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix on low until dough begins to come together. Increase speed to medium-low and add cubed butter in handfuls. Once all the butter has been added, increase speed to medium/medium-high and knead for about 5 minutes. You want this to be a fairly loose dough so don’t over knead.
- Scrape dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape it into a bun, tucking the edges toward the center. Place in your greased bowl, seam side down and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Place bowl in a warm place and let it rise for at least 40 minutes.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitter with paddle attachment, combine butter, dark brown sugar, and cardamom seeds and mix together on medium-low until creamy and smooth.
- Line baking sheets with silpat mats and set aside.
- Roll out dough into a 13” x 21” rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
- Spread filling onto the rolled out dough rectangle with silicone spatula so that it covers the entire area from edge to edge.
- Mark 7″ sections on the 21″ side with the back of a knife so that you have three equal sections. Fold left side to the middle, than fold the right side over the left side. Turn the dough so that the openings are on the left and right sides and roll out the dough slightly.
- Using your ruler and sharp knife or pastry wheel, cut 2 cm strands. You should have 15-20 strands.
- Starting from the end, wrap one strand around the tips of your thumb and four fingers (three if you have big hands) twice, twisting slightly as you wrap, then slip your thumb out of the roll, loop the strand around one last time then tuck the end and your thumb loop into the bottom.
- Place buns on your prelined baking sheets, (giving enough room for dough to rise and spread during proofing and baking), cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- While proofing, preheat oven to 435°F (at least 30 minutes prior baking)
- While rolls are proofing, heat water, light brown sugar, and vanilla bean paste in a small saucepan on high until sugar has dissolved completely. Set syrup aside. Combine cardamom and granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- Bake proofed rolls for 7-8 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Immediately brush tops with syrup and sprinkle with cardamom-sugar.